- Muscle strength and Endurance: The activities that sailing consists of are pulling and hosting of sails to maneuver a boat or a yacht- all of which adds to your muscle strength, shoulders and back.
- Cardiovascular Fitness: Sports like running, swimming, basketball, and soccer have been shown to reduce the risk of hypertension, obesity and other heart illness. Sailing, like these other intense sports can also improve your cardiovascular health. This is because of the large amounts of oxygen uptake that happens when you engage in strenuous physical activities.
- Mental Wellness and Peace: Being out on the water puts you on a good mood not just because of the calmness of the water but because of the saltiness of the air. The varying moods of a person are largely affected by a body chemical called serotonin. The saltiness of the sea air is composed of charged ions that helps in the body’s oxygen absorption which in turn results to a more balanced levels of serotonin. The more balanced your body’s serotonin levels are, the happier you’re going to be.
- Relaxation: The motion and sounds of the swooshing and splashing of water, the rhythmic movement of the yacht and the sound of the wind in the sails can all affect brainwave patterns. This in turn relaxes and soothes a busy and highly stressed out mind.
- Agility: The various tasks associated with sailing also helps improve your flexibility and agility. Activities like pulling lines or hosting sails can significantly improve your hand and eye coordination skills as well as your motor skills.
- Concentration: Because many people today are chronic multi-taskers, they should develop a deep sense of concentration. With the ultimate goal of staying safe while on board, sailing enhances a person’s ability to focus even with multiple tasks at hand.
- Communication: To effectively control a boat, the captain and his crew must act as unified unit. To do this they need to learn how to communicate effectively especially through non-verbal means. You can also have a good sense of cooperation and teamwork when you go on a sailboat. Everyone on board has a crucial role to play in order to keep the ship afloat.
Your shopping cart is empty!